Sunday, April 10, 2016

McCaskill: It's time to drill down on college affordability

(From Sen. Claire McCaskill)

Two weeks ago, I met with hundreds of Missourians to discuss the crisis of ballooning college costs and student debt in our country. And now, I’m getting to work.

I heard from first-generation college students navigating a complicated system on their own, kids from single-parent households struggling to meet financial reporting requirements, and community college students grateful for the opportunities that Missouri’s A+ program has given them.

I heard from parents wanting their kids to reach for the stars but afraid of the financial hurdles ahead, and families trying to contribute to tuition while still paying off their own student debt. I heard from educators and administrators frustrated at having their hands tied by cumbersome bureaucracies, and technical schools committed to developing a strong, well-trained workforce.

With this in mind, I’ve come back to the Senate to drill down on college affordability and help get Missouri students, families, and educators the resources they need to succeed.

There is no better way for me to tackle the issues facing Missouri families than by hearing from them directly, which is why I am so grateful to everyone who came out to speak with me last week. With your input, we can — and must — reform our higher education system.

Please continue sharing your tuition and student debt experiences with me by using #CollegeCosts on Twitter and Facebook, and learn more about my tour at mccaskill.senate.gov/CollegeAffordabilityTour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can remember attending college at Emporia State back in the 60's where tuition was $99 a semester for any number of hours. How lucky I was for that opportunity and all the books needed were rented for $8 a semester. My daughter went to MU and one book was priced at $600. Nuff said on that note.
College affordability is great, but do not lose sight that we also need to address the access and affordability of trade/tech schools and their importance to so many students as a means to obtain a good paying productive occupation. More than ever we need good trades people and those professions need to be elevated to a level of importance that we so often consider beneath our child's abilities. We also need to prepare our high school students better to approach the real world, not book world, by having time set aside as seniors to discuss finance, politics, religion, mechanics and other sorely needed experience other than home mystic driven ideals. These discussions should be led by civic persons of vast experience with the intention of compelling the students to be civic minded and educated. I am through.