Thursday, January 22, 2015

Speaker Pro Tem after State of the State: Gov. Nixon just doesn't get it

(From Speaker Pro Tem Denny Hoskins, R-Warrensburg)

As you know, Governor Nixon gave his State of the State speech earlier this week. Unfortunately, we heard more of the same from the governor. This past November, Missouri voters rejected his vision of higher taxes, government overreach, and a lack of accountability by sending Republican supermajorities to both the House and Senate. By increasing the Republican majorities in both chambers, voters have expressed their desire for a more prosperous, accountable, and free Missouri.

After listening to the governor speak, I’m convinced that he just doesn’t get it. That’s why I’m using this opportunity to directly engage you to share my vision for Missouri and the 54th district. Over the next two years I will be focusing on the things that matter most to Missourians. My legislative approach is multifaceted. My focus is on economic growth, taxpayer protection, and education.

To promote economic growth, I have introduced legislation to protect small businesses from increasing fees, federal regulation, and that allows small businesses to streamline their business’ costs. I have also written legislation designed to provide small businesses with tax incentives to hire hard working Missourians into well-paying jobs with benefits. My economic growth plan also includes legislation dedicated to benefiting current and beginning farmers by increasing Missouri’s competitiveness in agriculture. Missourians should take pride in the role they play in feeding the world.

As a Certified Public Accountant, I understand the importance of balancing the books and keeping track of every dollar. That’s why I have introduced taxpayer protection legislation aimed at allowing Missourians to keep more of their hard earned money by protecting them from bureaucrats who attempt to rewrite tax laws. Lastly, but certainly not least is education. Our children and grandchildren embody the American dream. I take personal pride in being able to do all I can to ensure we leave behind a free and prosperous Missouri for them. That’s why I have introduced bills to help reduce student loan debt and to help maintain Missouri’s competiveness in an ever changing 21st century economy.

There are several other issues I will be actively advocating for this year, including: ensuring our veterans have the resources and opportunities they deserve, a balanced budget, and oversight of Governor Nixon and his bureaucrats.

Serving in the General Assembly and conducting the business of the people has been one of my greatest honors. Every day I go to work on your behalf with pride and joy. As always, please do not hesitate to contact my office with questions, concerns, or ideas.

Legislation

HB 32 – Big Government Get off My Back Act has been referred to the Small Business Committee. HB 387 – Tax Incentives for Farmers has been referred to Economic Development and Business Attraction and Retention. Both bills should be scheduled for a hearing within the next two weeks.

On Tuesday, I voted to reject a pay raise for myself and other members of the legislature. There was a lengthy floor discussion on the matter, but the resolution passed overwhelmingly. Now, this matter heads to the Senate, where it needs another 2/3 majority in order to reject the pay raise.

No comments: