Saturday, November 01, 2014

Anson Burlingame: Attacks on C. J. Huff and R-8 Board will not achieve my goals

(Frequent Joplin Globe guest columnist Anson Burlingame left the following comment to the recent post Reader: No Child Left Alive Marked the Beginning of the End for C. J. Huff. I published it earlier this morning,but thought I would also publish it as an individual post.

Whenever I write about public education, my goal is to suggest ways to improve it. Specifically, I want to see far better student achievement, my primary goal. In that respect Randy Turner and I have the same goal. But we sure go about suggesting how best to do that in very different ways. Going back two years to issues related to his termination of employment by the BOE, ultimately so far, does little good, now, to improve the performance of students in Joplin.

It is impossible to list all the disagreements between Turner and me in matters of substance today. It would be a very long blog itself, or several blogs. But point by point rebuttal to Turner does no good either. We disagree over too many things and people as well.

But I will make this one point. If Turner got his way, Dr. Huff was fired, ignominiously, and the entire BOE replaced (by whom) then what I wonder?


If R-8 would only let teachers teach, what exactly would they teach to every non-disabled child in Joplin? If every teacher just let kids behave as the individual teacher deems appropriate, would that solve all our problems?

I suspect all of us would agree that every non-disabled graduate should be "proficient" upon graduation. But what exactly does that term mean for any non-disabled child?

Those are issues of substance, not arguments over personalities or leadership skills or even over "systems" designed to achieve good goals. In fact "good goals" by whose judgment is something few can agree upon.

As for the "hearing" related to Randy Turner's termination, why bother now is my point. And if someone wants to argue further, even in a court of law. go ahead. But as I wrote about two years ago, I believe the "BOE Got It Right" in the Globe. That is one man's opinion only and thus far I have seen no one show additional information to cause me to change my mind. But again, so what?

I have worked in very large organizations that had very challenging goals, fundamental requirements for that organization to achieve. It takes good standards, agreement from all concerned they were correct standards, hard, hard work by all concerned to try their best to meet requirements, and effective corrective action when things went wrong based on both internal and external reviews.

I make no personal judgements about Randy Turner. I have only seen him twice as I recall and never had any in depth discussions with him as well. I have offered such but ........? So all I have to go on to judge his views is this blog.

The relentless attacks herein on the BOE and Dr. Huff are, in my view, misguided and will not achieve the goal I want, better achievement by all non-disabled students in Joplin, and nationwide for that matter.

Good standards (which I believe we have now in Joplin, DESE standards), a united effort by all to achieve those standards, good supervision of all concerned, including students, teachers, administrators and public officials, effective internal to R-8 and external inspections, acknowledging mistakes and then correcting them is the path to achieving better public education, in my view.

That is the only reason I write publicly on such matters. And when I write as such, I put my name to it, for sure, like it or not.

Anson Burlingame

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

A significant difference between Burlingame and Turner is that people are actually interested in what Turner has to say - even when they disagree with it!

Anonymous said...

Then Anson, the new board could REALLY review the policies and set them up to support education. This board and the new admin (and it will take more than getting rid of Huff) can set in place policies that are truly supportive and become turly open and transparent. In addition, I'd like to see them repost REAL stats on who has left the district and find out why.
Anson, this administration likes to destroy people. They enjoy it and lie to do it. They don't want teachers who can think and teach, they want teachers who can read a script from a teacher's manual. That makes one wonder why they want any PD time. Real teaching is thinking and meeting the needs of every kid in the class. Teaching is not reading a script like a trained monkey.
Mr. Turner is the voice for everyone else who can't say anything. I don't know what you think his goals are, but everyone should know what kind of liars and manipulators they are.

Anonymous said...

Why the "non-disabled" references? Is he suggesting disabled students don't have room for growth under Joplin's current plan or a better plan? What does he mean by disabled? Does he realize there are many kids in mainstream classrooms with a disabled label who are held to the same standard as their non-disabled peers? I'm not picking him apart here. I'm just pointing out an obvious indicator that perhaps Burlinggame doesn't know as much about public education as he would like to think. Am I making something out of nothing? It's just odd that he mentions it like we need to talk only about center-of-the-road kids. Good teachers teach to all kids and do what they can to improve performance of all kids no matter their abilities. Just a thought.

Anson Burlingame said...

I know NOTHING about how to educate "special kids" in special education. I have no experience in dealing with disabled people either. So I am very careful to suggest my goals of achieving proficiency apply only to non-disabled children, or adults for that matter.

As for "education", my experience as both a student and a professional responsible for the knowledge gained and applied by others was part of my effort for 35 years.

One final point. A commenter above said ".....can set in place policies that are truly supportive and become turly open and transparent."

I refer anyone with the time to read Henry Kissinger's new book World Order. He has a whole section about how to deal with openess, transparency, social media, mass opinions, etc.

It is a very complex dilemma for the world at large today according to Dr. Kissinger. I agree with him for sure on that point.

Anson

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification! I didn't realize you were only referring to one measurement: proficiency on a standardized state assessment. Students with learning disabilities are also expected to score proficient under current education laws. Severely disabled students are given an alternative assessment, but are still expected to score proficient. Those not deemed severely disabled but still identified as disabled still take the same state assessment as non-disabled peers and are expected to score proficient. I'm not arguing with you, and am not even sure if we are talking about the same thing. Maybe you are suggesting only students without disabilities should have to reach proficiency? That is a very controversial topic in education, not just locally either. I will look into the book you suggested.

Anonymous said...

I honestly think it would be better to completely ignore Anson and his uninformed remarks. I feel that you are giving a platform to someone that would receive very little attention otherwise. It is not worth having philosophical educational debates with someone that does not work in education and has never walked in the shoes of the many excellent teachers that have grown disgruntled with the profession in general and with R8 in particular.

Anonymous said...

While I am suspect of the motives of all authors here including Randy Turner the writing of Burlingame seem to be incoherent ramblings

Randy said...

To 7:47:

For the most part, I agree with you about ignoring Anson, but there are three reasons I don't.
1. There are many times when you can tell by his writing what the latest thing is that C. J. Huff is trying to sell.

2. For some reason, the Joplin Globe has decided that this is an intellectual whose thoughts should be exposed to its readers. So every time I run something Anson has written or publicize something on his blog, it points out how out of touch the Globe is.

3. Running something Anson writes makes my thoughts look so much more reasonable in comparison.

Anonymous said...

I have been to the doctor's office and hospital all of my life. I also can read WebMD, so that makes me an expert on medicine. I've watched Judge Judy for years and taught government for years, so I'm a legal expert. People think they know education because they went to school or have kids in school. Anson spend a year or two as a teacher, your eyes will be opened. It is not just about lesson planning and grading. Each student brings in a set of issues they are dealing with and teachers help them through the issues. These issues include problems at home, with self image, with peersm with their own demons. Spend a year or silence your "expertise".

Anonymous said...

Anson is a huge a#s and although I would like to see Randy ignore him, I agree with his reasons for what he does publish about the ignorant jerk ANTSON. Ive seen him in public discussions and all he does is want to argue and antagonize about everything. It's one thing to disagree about any issue, but Anson's intolerance is why many people are disgusted with him

Anonymous said...

I, too, have encountered Anson in public discussions.

It's an interesting dynamic and I think supports many of the conclusions one can draw about his personality from his writings. Anson interjects himself into things and goes on-and-on regardless of whether he actually knows much about the subject at hand, obscuring whatever questions he might have under the weight of redundant fluff. The impression you get is of someone who likes the sound of his own voice, and the "questions" are less sincere questions than they are a platform for him to opine the conclusions he clearly already had.

All of that applies to his writing, as well, and to the extent that he goes on at length, it's to prop himself up and make it seem like he knows more than what he does. He's not interested in dialogue or in learning in any sincere way, only his own personality and opinions. This inflated ego is quickly satiated with flattery, which is why he is so easily manipulated by Huff, although Anson's ego attributes it to mutual respect between men of equal stature. "You're great!" "No, you're great!" They were destined to fall in love.

Anonymous said...

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind, and won't change the subject."

Sir Winston Churchill

Anonymous said...

I suggest that Anson Burlingame apply to serve as a substitute teacher in at least one classroom in each of the three levels of the school district, elementary, middle and high school. He would see what teachers deal with each day.

It should be required that the superintendent, assistants and their assistants, and all BOE members substitute in classrooms at least one day a month. Then they could see how policies affect teaching and learning.

Try it, you just might learn something.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I love the Anson writings. Without them, I would not have known I possesed the ability to laugh out loud and roll my eyes at the same time. Not to mention, reading Anson's remarkably poor writing makes me feel so much better about my own abilities.

Anonymous said...

Anson:

You are undoubtedly the smartest, most well informed person to whom you have ever listened.

Anonymous said...

11:19 am

Your advice is well received by all except the intended.

It is impossible to learn anything if you already know everything.