Monday, August 25, 2014

Reader: How dare you accuse C. J. Huff of grooming children?

For those who remember my days as editor of the Lamar Democrat, for my last five years there I wrote a humor column called The Inside Corner.

It did not take long for me to discover that some people do not have a sense of humor and others have one that differs from mine.

Every once in a while, I write what I intend to be a humorous essay, fully realizing that some people will not think it funny at all. For the last few months, every time I have done that, some people begin insisting that I have finally crossed the line. Such was the case with my post earlier today about C. J. Huff's practice of having his photo taken with kindergarten students. I make fun of it because it is a thoroughly silly tradition, coupled with the narcissistic idea that having a picture taken with someone they don't know will inspire kindergarten students to graduate from high school 13 years later.

Nearly all of my readers, whether they agree with me or not, understood what it was I doing. Except, of course, those who quickly commented that I had finally crossed the line. Some of it was obviously organized, but the following comment, which also seems to lack authenticity,  I thought deserved some extra attention because of the ironic comment in it. One that I thought crossed the line.

I started reading this blog about a year ago hoping for some solid unbiased insite. However in the past months I have been seeing a great deal of personal vendetta rather than anything unbiased and this post illustrates that perfectly. This post would never be published in true journalism, so why is it legit here? 

Insinuating that Mr. Huff is grooming young kids is a sophomoric attempt at rabble rousing to say the least. Truly the emperor has no cloths and is prancing through the streets. However the emperor's name isn't Huff, it's Turner... 

Where do these people came from and how do they keep getting jobs at 32nd and Duquesne?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well that is my post, what I have said is completely authentic and no, I don't work for the district. I am a local business owner. Thank you for your assumptions though. Your joking is disrespectful, not to mention distasteful and I believe the replies you received on that post reflected that. If you want to lead a charge against some one, it would seem being above reproach would be the way to go.

Anonymous said...

I am addicted to your blog. I read it daily. My only suggestion would be to add a puzzle or word game/teaser. I bet you have the ability!

Anonymous said...

Randy, you have had last days so many places it's hard to keep track.

It's not that people lack a sense of humor.

You're just not funny.

Anonymous said...

satire: noun
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

Satire, look it up in the dictionary.. or watch Saturday Night Live.

Anonymous said...

I'm cool with satire, but let's not give Saturday Night Live too much credit, boy is that show awful. The Colbert Report is a far more effective example.