Sunday, August 03, 2014

C. J. Huff to award-winner: I fired you, but please come to our fancy breakfast

Another of the events that Whitney Wright, the newly-minted events coordinator (at $50,000 a year) for the Joplin R-8 School District will likely handle will be the breakfast for the recipients of the Golden Eagle Awards (for top teachers) and the Golden Wing Awards (for the best support personnel), scheduled for August 19 in the Billingsley Student Center Ballroom at Missouri Southern State University.

Some of those recipients are no longer employed by the school district, including a Golden Eagle winner who left to get away from harassment in her building and at least one Golden Wing recipient who was fired in C. J. Huff's money-saving purge at the end of the 2013-2014 school year.

That Golden Wing recipient, Cheryl Burney, who had been a secretary at Joplin High School, wrote on Facebook tonight about receiving that invitation and her photo and message have been shared numerous times already. It is printed below:
I know better than to rant, but when I got this in the mail it just made me laugh, shake my head, and say "bless their hearts"(and if you are from the south, you know what that truly means.

 Last year, I was awarded with a Golden Wing award at JHS. A week after I was told I would no longer have a job, I was sent an email about what a great asset to the school I was and asking me to be recognized along with others at the school board meeting. I shook my head. 

Then, I hear about the $11,000 ribbon cutting they will have, which a few more dollars and that would have been my salary. First, I would have sold you a ribbon for half of that cost.

 Second, I guess I don't see how people donate to that when we have so many good charities to help our community, but it is not my money and to each his own. But if a school is already in debt......never mind I will stop with that thought.

 Also, I don't understand how people draw or live off of unemployment. They never sent one check and try to wear you down to give up and I am not the only person that lost a job that hasn't received money. So, honest workers, who pay taxes, and I immediately looked for a job, couldn't draw...hmmm. So, Friday in the mail I get an invitation to a breakfast for award winners. You fired me, remember? And I step off my soap box and say "bless your heart".

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This story makes me so angry that it hurts. We have lost so many good, dedicated people in order to keep CJ Huff in power. This just can't continue.

If the Board doesn't take some action by the opening session, I am not going to show. I invite about 1000 other "disgruntled" and abused staff to join me.

Anonymous said...

And in the meantime, back at the ranch, the Huffs continue to enjoy the good life around their private pool, riding around in their new vehicles, living in their luxurious home in Arbor Hills, while he and his staff can't even remember who they've canned or made miserable.

Unbelievable. That he is still employed, I mean. What he did to this staff member, as well as many, many others, is the norm around R8.

Anonymous said...

Huff's raises in the last three years, not counting his speeches that he doesn't pay taxes on, were as much as this woman made in a year.

Which of these two people was truly showing up "for the kids" every day? Not Huff.

Anonymous said...

The pain and anger this administration has brought upon this town is unsurpassed. Why do they continue to get away with it? Because the last board president was as crooked as his super, and because this one thinks her job is to be a cheerleader. Go shake your pompoms somewhere else, Anne Sharp. This man has got to go, and we need someone in there who can make it happen.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I won the Golden Wing award last year while working as the Nurse at East but I didn't get an invitation to the luncheon, my boss "forgot" to tell me I won (I would not have been his choice) and I found out I won when the certificate was mailed to me after the lunch. I didn't care about going, Huff probably would have cried and made me lose my appetite. At the end of the year I was fired for a made up reason because I did not bow down to the Buddy boss. Then they tried to fight my unemployment checks until I told them what really happened but they do really fight giving you those checks, telling you they watch how many times you get on their web site and you can't apply for just any job so I quit trying. It's funny how a person can work for years, get fired for bogus reasons and then they are labeled as a slacker and not worthy of help. If I was a real slacker I wouldn't have a problem I'm sure.

Well anyway I am happy to be away from the mess that is East Middle School and Joplin Schools!

Alana Maddock

Unknown said...

Dear Mr. Turner,

I would appreciate if you would remove my Facebook status and my name from your page. It was intended for my personal Facebook page and I did not give you permission to use it or my name. I am sure you will save it is open and you have every right to use it. Maybe so, but the decent thing would be is to remove it since it is about me.

I am not a disgruntled ex employee and do not wish to be viewed that way.

You know nothing about my situation or how it was handled.

While I do not agree with how my situation was handled, I loved every second at JHS. I worked hard, loved the building administrators and teachers. I met some wonderful people and walked away with lots of new friends.

I have moved on to exciting new chapter in my life and wish to only take the good memories of JHS with me.

Those who know me, know that I was not bashing anyone on my post, but you sit, do not know me or my situation. I do not wish for my small Facebook status to be used for whatever agenda you have.

I am also a little sad that it had to be a Facebook friend that shared my post with you, because you would never have just stumble across it.

If you choose not to remove, I just want it to be known that I don't know you, not affiliated with this page, and very sad that one small statement could be used for the agenda of an angry ex employee.

Cheryl

Anonymous said...

First...that's not Whitney's last name. Second, she doesn't make $50,000/year.

Anonymous said...

Whatever Miss Warren makes, it is too much. The job is frivolous. The original 32 grand is almost twice as much as a secretary makes. Which job is more important? We need fewer events to manage and more education. It's the constant publicity mongering that has ruined the district.

Anonymous said...

I guess this is a reminder for all of us that once something is posted on social media, it is no longer private. Ms. Burney may say she is not disgruntled, but she doesn't sound very happy about her former employer, either. I wouldn't be, myself.

Anonymous said...

I am a bit surprised by Mr. Turner posting this without her permission. We all know that Huff & Co. like to destroy people so this could be dangerous for her. On the other hand, since it is in public cyberspace, the evil forces of R8 could see it.
Bottom line, they do see to do silly things like that. Why would you go to one of those gatherings if you weren't forced?